Monday 26 October 2015

YOU Magazine Work Experience


From the 1st-5th June, I had the incredible opportunity to do some work experience at YOU magazine. Even though I was excited for it, I was still quite sceptical. It was a make or break for me, if you like. I've wanted to go into fashion since I was around 15/16, I just had no idea how or what aspect of it. When I got the opportunity to do this, I would finally decide if this is what I wanted to do with my life, or I'd see I was wrong and that it wasn't actually for me.

I was expecting something like the Devil Wears Prada, I'm not going to lie. However, it was far from it. Everyone in the office was so welcoming and lovely, and I genuinely felt like I was in my element. 

During my week at YOU, I worked on five different desks: features, art, fashion, pictures and sub editors. Working on all the different desks gave me a real insight into how much research and work goes into putting the magazine together, and how all the desks are relevant for the final product.

I was told what each desk contributed to the magazine, and was allowed to help within the current tasks. When I worked on the fashion desk, I got to help with a fashion shoot, which resulted in my name being in the credits on the page!


I just feel work experience is so useful, as it allows you to experience first hand what it is like working in the industry, and it can give you a clearer mindset as to whether that really is the career path you want to pursue. Luckily for me, I was working with an office full of lovely, welcoming people at an extremely organised company.

Caitlin even came to visit one day, and came for lunch with her mum and I. That just made the whole week better, being able to see her and have a catch up on my lunch break.

This experience was so useful to me. I felt so in my element, and it really allowed me to gain a clearer understanding of the goals I am aiming for. I was slightly doubtful coming to university, wondering if I'd made the right choice. However, after my work experience, I am more determined than ever to reach my final goal. It has also showed me how much I'd love to live in London, and don't intend to move back to Essex. London is such an incredible city, and working there for that week really emphasised that to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment